Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Doctors, Doctors & More Doctors...

So tomorrow will be an entire month since I was initially placed on bedrest due to this crazy triplet pregnancy. At first it was strict bedrest requiring my mom to come and make me breakfast and lunch. I was only allowed to get up to use the restroom and shower every other day. Then two weeks in my level was lifted and I was allowed to make my own meals and have one outing per week. Last week, due to another wonderful appt. I was given the privelage of moving about in the home throughout the afternoon as long as I spent 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening on strict bedrest. Well today I had another appt which went wonderfully and I've now been given an additional outing per week. An outing is classified as dinner out or a less than 30 minute errand (1hr including drive time). So I'm really happy and hoping that next week I'm given a trip to the pool which I've been dying for. With all of this being said, they did remind me today that at 28 weeks, I will be strictly confined to the house, no ifs ands or buts.

So how do I get these upgrades each week? Well I see a ton of doctors. Initally since it was a triplet pregnancy I started out by having to see my OB every other week. Also due to my hypothyroidism I also had to see my endocronologist every 4 weeks during the pregnancy. Then at 16 week I began also seeing a perinatlist who specializes in maternal fetal medicine and makes sure all the babies are growing on schedule. Then because I was having trouble getting in the recommended 4000 calories a day I was referred to a nutritionist who I will see as needed. Finally, when I hit the 18 week mark I began seeing Laura, my pre-term labor nurse who sees me every single week to make sure I'm not going into early labor, have preclampsia and to check several other factors. So... what this means is that every week I see at least one doctor and have at times seen up to 3 in one week. The point of this story is just to show you how crazy they really watch a triplet pregnancy to prevent and/or stop and possible complications. It sure is alot of waiting rooms but I'm glad to have all the extra eyes!

Speaking of crazy, at my appt. with Laura today, I now measure 34 weeks. I am in reality only 20.5 weeks pregnant. So a person pregnant with one baby would be planning on giving birth in 6 weeks from now... Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. yay - congrats! That's great news! You just blew past me - I'm only 30 weeks today. Hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete