Wednesday, July 22, 2009

72 Hours are up!

Yippee we have all survived during the 72 hour period where most preemie babies have the most difficulty if there is going to be anything. Now the next 10 days are important as well, but the 72 milestone is HUGE!

So I'm giving today an A day. It would of been an A+ day but now I'm causing the problems. This afternoon I began feeling very warm and then had uncontrollable chills. They took my temperature and came back with a 101.3. They gave me a combo of percocet, Motrin and Tylenol to reduce the fever however it did not work. To make matters more fun, my blood pressure was elevated and my resting heart rate got up to 133...yikes! So they drew a ton of blood which is funny since they said I lost so much during the surgery and they took a urine sample via my favorite tool, the catheter:) Anyhow, we are now awaiting results and I am already feeling a lot better. My temperature is down to 99.8 and my heart has stopped racing. I will post more when I have some results, but for now my doctors best guess is either a kidney infection or milk issues. So now lets get to the good news, the babies!

Starting with our rock star, Claire has done just amazing once again today. They have stopped pushing oxygen for her so she is now breathing 100% on her own the oxygen that naturally flows. Second, her blood levels have continued to be so steady that they have removed her from antibiotics and have also removed the IV that they were using to take blood (now they just prick her foot). The nurse told us she has never heard a baby this small, cry so loud and its just a great indicator of her lungs. Finally, she was being a little rambunctious so the nurse asked Brian to cup his hand around her rear to calm her, it was soooo sweet (the nurse took a shaky video below)!!!

Next our little fighter, Slade, has also done remarkably well today. He too has had his antibiotic and IV line removed due to fantastic blood results. In addition, he is digesting food very well and has had another bowel movement. The coolest part is that today Brian was allowed to change his diaper TWICE including using a wipe, soooo exciting, I wish I could have been there (can't go to NICU with fever).

Finally, little Ella also had some great reports for the day. The new brain bleed scans came in and what they thought yesterday was a possible 3 & 4 level bleed have now been diagnosed as a fading level 1 and a borderline 2/3 bleed. The Dr's and us were so pleased!! However, because the two tests were soooo different, they will retest again in 2 days. Regardless, it seems its alot more common to see shadows or blood that isn't there than to have a clear scan and actually have a high grade bleed. So we are soooo thrilled and this has taken a huge weight off our shoulders.

The only "incident" type occurrence that we are beginning very soon are giving the babies extra blood via transfusion. They have to run so many tests and the babies only have limited amounts of blood so while this sounds scary, its actually protocol. Brian is in talks with the NICU regarding using his own blood for the babies that have O+ (We know Claire is the same, but are waiting on the other babies.) I think this is just so neat and hope that we can work it out!

Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes, today is a very good day!

6 comments:

  1. What great news! Hope you are feeling better very soon so you can visit your little ones again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say it enough but God is so good. I'm amazed at these daily updates and hearing just how well all three babies are truly doing. What a blessing, what a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news!! We're so happy they're doing so well. Hang in there....hope you're feeling 100% very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes...from Kira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for letting us all peer in on this wonderful journey. It has truly blessed me. You are all in my prayers daily. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much! I really enjoy sharing our story with you all and apprciate your prayers and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete