Sunday, July 26, 2009

Babies, Fevers & Bra's

For the most part today was a good day but had kind of a sad ending for myself and my fever escapade. The babies again have been doing well with very minor issues thus far. Due to my fever being gone I got to go see the babies, yipppeee!

Ella: Today did great with zero heart rate or breathing issues! Also they began her back on 1cc feedings and she tolerated it great both times! I got to watch Brian change her diaper and she was actually very calm compared to what I had witnessed with Claire.

Slade: This little boy just makes me so nervous all the time. While he did well with his breathing again today, he had several heart rate drops which scares us. The nurse said that just his "MO" and needs a little help each time to get it back up. The good thing is his oxygen level stay high so it doesn't really affect anything except Brian and my heart rates. He tolerate about half his feed but they tried again this evening and so far so good. I got to touch him today and although it was with gloves it was nice to actually touch a baby finally!

Claire: As usual Claire did great with here heart rate and breathing and tolerated her feedings for the most part. The only issue she had was low blood sugar today for which they gave her some insulin. The nurse tells me this is in no way related to diabetes but rather just her pancreas learning how to work... "not something to be worried about." If Claire continues to do so well, next week Brian will begin what is known as "kangaroo care" with her. This is when he holds her bare chest to bare skin daily. It has been proven that babies who do this thrive and gain weight much faster than those who do not. Brian is very excited but nervous to hold his hopefully by then 2lb daughter (I can't do this until no fever for a week, sad).

As for me, while I was soooo excited to see the babies and get released from the hospital, my joy was short lived. I woke up from a nap around 6:30 with the chills and a 101.4 fever again. We called the Dr. and she said to hold off coming in unless it reached 102 and otherwise we will just run some more tests on Monday. It fluctuated on and off all evening and is now gone, but so is my opportunity to go see the babies tomorrow. You cannot have a fever and go to the NICU within 24 hours. So sad and just really hoping I can keep from getting one tomorrow and can see our babies again on Monday.
On another note, Brian and I had made so many jokes about the contraption below when looking at pregnancy magazines. We thought it had to be a joke/gag gift. Well after almost a week of pumping, I am now a proud owner and think it may be the best invention in the world:)

5 comments:

  1. That is a REALLY funny picture. You're making new days each day ... great progress ... keeping kicking ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make fun of that scarry bondage pumping bra too....and yes it is a wonderful invention:)

    I am so glad to hear about the babies doing so well, and I think Slade is just trying to keep you on your toes:) I hope you feel better soon. I am sending anti-fever vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it does look like a really funny bondage pumping contraption, but here I am typing and pumping again:)

    Carrie thank you for the non=fever vibes, so far they are working today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...so glad to hear it! And pump away sister. Those babies need that liquid gold:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about you and glad that the babies continue to do well.
    I pray that you get better soon too, so you can begin to hold your LO's!
    Dre

    ReplyDelete