Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Fruits of my Labor

Nope this time I'm not talking about babies (although they are doing great!) I'm talking about lemons. You see, while I by no means have a green thumb, I'm in love with my orchid and my lemon tree. Everything else I buy dies, but those two plants are loved. So last year my lemon tree only made 1 lemon, which for the work it takes, was disapointing. This year about 2 months before I became pregnant, it sprouted 6. These became my sextuplets. I was nervous when kids were on the back porch, I yelled at animals that approached and when they were small and green I had to convince people they were not limes and not to pick them. During the cold days, my lemon resides in my bathtub. During the hot, Brian moves it back into the sun. Anyways, so after about 9 months, I finally had a lemon ready to pick and during this process I realized that after picking the lemon, there were only 4 remaining. What on earth happened to lemon number 5??? I quickly came to the conclusion that one of the neighbor kids must of come over and taken one, so I began scanning the random houses trying to figure out whom it could have been (sorry Dipti if your reading this, but even kids as small as Nyan were suspect:)) After quite a while of despair and a touch of anger, I thought maybe it had fallen off the tree and rolled into the grass. Sure enough I was right and while it was not in the most pristine of condition, I was overjoyed to be enjoying not one but two lemons that evening.

So... the question is, now that I have 3 human babies, will my lemon and my orchid survive? Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. My vote is NO, not after 9 months of having the babies home ~ but you will have to tell me!

    Thanks for the text!
    BIG HUGS!
    BIG TIME HEARTBURN TODAY..... AHHHHHHH, but worth every second! No complaints here!
    Dre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lemon tree and your orchid will likely survive until the babies start walking . . . and taking an interest in your plants. The lemon may then survive only because of the thorns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a lemon tree which started blooming when we conceived this past February. Somehow the tree now has 15 lemons almost ready to pick but I still have another month until I'm due.

    What a beautiful orchid - those are difficult to grow!

    Eco-friendly

    ReplyDelete