Monday, August 10, 2009

Kangaroo Care

Today I had the pleasure of hosting my first session of kangaroo care with little baby Ella. Kangaroo care is when you hold your baby bare chest to bare body in order to re-create a more realistic reenactment of the womb. Your baby is able to hear your heart rate and breathing patterns and feel your warmth, all of which they will remember from being inside. Ella did terrific and was completely relaxed. She even enjoyed sucking on the tiniest pacifier you've ever seen. I too loved this process as it felt so much more real and loving that wearing a sterile gown with a tightly wrapped baby. I can't wait to do it again! To read more about kangaroo care and its benefits to preemies, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_care

On another note, all babies had their IVs and all other wires removed today except for their feeding tube and breathing apparatus. Since they are now eating so much they can derive all of the necessary calories from my milk and a little supplement that they no longer are in need of IV calories or fluids. Another step in the right direction!

The only issue we are concerned about right now is Claire's platelet count is low and could indicate an infection. They are redoing the blood work in the morning and if its still low they will start her on antibiotics.

Below is a short video of little Ella a couple days ago with her eyes open that I thought was neat to see. Also, due to request are pictures of my new storage closet pumping room. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog every morning. Kangaroo care sounds awesome. What a special bonding experience for Mommy and baby! Love the video of Ella. That closet does seem to scream...the closet of shame! LOL So glad to hear they had tubes removed. Praying everyday for all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight I will drink in their honor on the giant schooner cutter Mallory Todd. Yo-ho!

    Seriously awesome and exciting progress.

    Request: post higher resolution videos so we can see the babies in more detail; you can change that setting easily in your camera. I watched this video 20 times in sucession and held my face to the screen to fake the effect that it was big enough and long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitly work on this, I forget that my screen is super large so I can easily see the videos but others may not, sar!

    ReplyDelete