Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reality

The reality is is this: We have three tiny babies in the neonatal intensive care unit. Everyday for the last 17 days we have made the trek through the hospital, up the NICU hill, washed out hands with scrub brushes, and signed in. We may do this more than 100 more days. Every two hours I extract milk because I don't have the option of formula if I wanted. These tiny babies only can have this milk or milk donated from another. We phone and check on these tiny babies every morning and every evening with our hearts thudding hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. We try and enjoy some TV after dinner but have a hard time concentrating on the "little things" in life. We wish everyday that it was the next and that time would fly by so that they would be bigger and stronger and that we could get on with our new and exciting lives.

But in an instant what I thought was reality disappeared because today I finally got to hold on of those tiny little babies and it was incredible. The reality became that it didn't really matter how long it took, how many hand washings it was, how many hours pumping I did, how much TV we missed, one day we would get to bring all three of these gorgeous little creatures home and it would be perfect.

Tomorrow is Brian's turn and if all continues to go well, we will trade off days with Ella until the other two are breathing well enough to hold. So far they are doing well and all three are now up to 8cc's per feeding. Slade gained another ounce and is determined to catch up with his sisters.

Today is a wonderful day and for now our reality couldn't be better!


12 comments:

  1. Yea!!! Beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I feel kinda bad b/c the reason Ella is squinting is that stupid green light from my camera... Oh well, the nurse took it so I guess it can't be too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lindsay!! I can not imagine the joy you must have felt...I see it bubbling out of you in the picture! So thankful to have you and Brian as family and before we all know it, those precious angels will be home and we will all be in amazement. Watching them grow and getting to know their personalities! So exciting! Love, Aunt Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We want to cuddle with our cousins, because they are sweet and awesome. Roses are red, violets are blue, I love my cousins so much too!" Love, Cousin Macy and Cousin Kaley :) That really is a quote from Macy. She spoke on behalf of both of them with Kaley's prior permission of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm finally caught up and done crying! You look so happy in this picture! When I talked to you earlier I didn't entirely realize what a HUGE deal it was for you to get to finally hold one of them!!! Can't wait to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Ella was very happy about it too! I hope the others are soon able to enjoy all that love and cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in tears!! There is nothing greater than the pure joy and love felt when holding your child! This was the best post you have ever written!!! Love you!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears of joy over here, what an amazing experience to finally be able to hold your daughter in your arms for the first time. It truly does make everything worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!! I'm so happy for you sweetie. I think of you and your family daily and I pray for you everyday. I'm so so happy for you.
    Soon enough those little ones will be home and we'll be reading about their new adventures.
    Love, Tomekwa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much, it was amazing and I can't wait to hold the other two!

    ReplyDelete