Friday, August 14, 2009

Slade & I

Today I ended up holding Slade for the first time and he did really well. Initially, after crying so much when the nurse was removing him from his house, he calmed down a little too much in my arms and had a heart rate drop. It went back up quickly, so while it was scary, its good that his body is learning how to self correct. I was able to maintain my calm so my own heart rate didn't excel too much and scare him (not sure how much he can feel but I know its best to stay calm). Otherwise, he was as calm as can be and was awake about 50% of the time just staring away. Since he responded so well, he should get to do kangaroo care with Brian tomorrow as I do it with Ella. We will also hold Claire, but will wait until she is done antibiotics to kangaroo with her.

On another note, I'm a little overwhelmed today with the thoughts of their care once they return home. Not the whole three babies crying at the same time thing but the extra Dr's appts due to their extreme prematurity and what each of those appts will hold. I'm sure everything will turn out ok, but its very possible that one or more babies will have to have surgeries after returning home and while they are common, they are also terrifying to have done on a infant. Anyways, I'll get into all of that another day with more detail but for now I'm going to just ponder it myself. I really don't know if people know how lucky they are when they get to have a nice big full term baby with the biggest issue being if they are colicky or not. How wonderful that would be! However, I'm grateful for our three tiny babies and am ready to deal with any issues to come, no matter how exhausting and scary the process may be.

5 comments:

  1. Focus on today. Dream of tomorrow. But don't plan for the daunting things in the future. Once you do come those times you'll have a clear head to plan accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miranda, I will try to do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this site with us. Everytime i read a post, i want to cry!! My instincts from when i was a new mom are kicking in, i guess! LOL! We are so happy for you guys and pray for your little ones!! They seem like fighters already, so i'm very positive that they will overcome their struggles with the love of their parents, family and friends...We cannot wait to meet them! We want you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and that we will always be available with helping hands!!

    Much love to you guys,
    Rodney, Dipti, Riya, and Nyan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dipti! Sorry I don't see you guys as often since getting pregnant, but this texas heat really has kept me inside this summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the babes and my seester! When can I do kangaroo care? :) Brunch Sat? Love you all!

    ReplyDelete